Small, Fast, & Simple

March 23, 2015

Effort and Value

Small
Fast
Simple

The Pareto principle is popularly known as the 8020 rule—that is, 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. It’s useful to remember that not all tools or tasks are equal in value and effort. Often an easy task can be disproportionately valuable while a small improvement takes a surprising amount of effort. The relationship between effort and value is non-linear. An old joke states that the first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time and the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time.